As mentioned in my May Glam Bag Review Post, I was considering unsubscribing from My Glam and subscribing to Birchbox. But after deep consideration, it is only fair that I put both through a trial period and have them fight each other to the death! So I subscribed to Birchbox and continued my My Glam subscription for the time being and let’s see who’s standing at the end. I think three months should be enough time to decide which one to keep, right?
June Glam Bag
It arrived in this super cute, clutch style, gold glitter make-up bag. I love the style of the bag. the only downside is that just by touching it you get glitter everywhere. Not good for us contact lens users. I tried shaking it a bit to see if it helped but only a little. Here’s what came in it:
- Marbella Permanent Eyeliner Pen (Full Size – Retail Price $19.00) – I am the worst when it comes to applying eyeliner, especially with eyeliner pens. So when I saw that they sent me an eyeliner pen at first I was really disappointed. I am now LOVING this pen. I wear it everyday. I’m not sure if it’s the felt tip pen applicator or the consistency of the liquid but this pen is super easy to apply. Plus, it is waterproof, smudge-proof, crease-proof, ninja-proof, you name it. When it says it will last all day, it will last all day, but also washes off easily with soap and water. Think of it as a Sharpie for your eyes. The packaging says it’s not safe for contact lenses users, but I’m going to ignore the warning and just hope it doesn’t go in my eye.
- Philosophy “Take a Deep Breath” Energizing Gel Moisturizer (.4 fl oz Trail Size – Retail Price for 2 oz Full Size $34) – This oil-free moisturizer is like a glass of water on your skin. It feels refreshing and light weight. I only wish my trial size tube will never end. I wouldn’t say I would pay $34 for a full size but if you have the money it’s a great moisturizer to splurge on.
- Living Proof
FrizzNourishing Styling Cream (2 fl oz. Trial Size – Retail Price for 4 oz Full Size $26) – Another great product. I am the queen of frizz. I remember once, when I was little, I wanted to be a witch for Halloween and all my mom had to do was dress me up in costume and run a brush through my freshly washed hair. I was skeptical, yet hopeful, that this product would work and thankfully it did. It didn’t eliminate 100% of the frizz but the most of it was definitely under control.
- NYX Round Lipstick in the color Georgia (Full Size – Retail Price $4) – I’m a huge NYX cosmetics fan. And to receive a full size lipstick was awesome. But this color, on me, is horrendous. It’s a shiny, bright pink lipstick, identical to the one my mom used to wear in the ’80s, and that I begged her to stop wearing in the ’90s, and I pray she is no longer wearing today. The color would be perfect on paler skin tones.
Birchbox arrived in this really cute box (duh!) and inside was a card indicating the month’s them is Jetset. Here’s what was inside:
- The Balm Cosmetics Staniac Lipstain in Beauty Queen (.04 fl oz Trial Size – Retail Price for .3 fl oz Full Size $17) – I haven’t had good experiences with lip stains. They tend to bleed or are either too dark or too light. And when I saw the color in the tube of this one I thought I wasn’t going to be able to wear it at all. But, thankfully, it comes out nothing like the color on the tube. It is a sheer, subtle, and yet buildable fuchsia pink shade, that looks just like your lips but 10 times better.
- Band-Aid Cynthia Rowley Designer Bandaids (Full Size Pack of 20 Retail Price $15) – These are so cute they make me want to cut my finger just so I can wear them.
- Scalisi Skincare Anti-Aging Moisturizer (.2 fl oz Trial Size – Retail Price for 1.7 fl oz Full Size $110) – I’ve been using this on the wrinkles on my forehead for a couple of days now and I have honestly noticed an improvement. The skin seems noticeably firmer almost immediately. I can only imagine using the full size product for several weeks. Would I pay $110 for it? Hell no. Not while I’m in my 20s. Ask me again in 10 years.
- Jouer Luminizing Moisture Tint (.07 Trial Size – Retail Price for Full Size $38) – Honestly, this little thing is too tiny to even try to do a review. I wasted the whole thing on just my two cheeks.
- Borghese Botanico Eye Compresses (2 Pads Trial Size – Retail Price for Full Size 60 Pads $51.00) – I left them on each eye for 10 minutes and it removed all puffiness from my eyes. It felt very relaxing and soothing.
- John Varvatos Men’s Cologne Sample – I haven’t smelled this yet but I have every intention on testing it on my boyfriend, if he’ll let me.
This round’s winner, by far is Glam Bag (yay!). I loved the make-up bag, it came with 2 full sized items, and three out of four products were a hit with me. My favorite Birchbox item is the designer Band-Aids. The other sample products were just too small to really try out and consider purchasing. Do you agree with the winner? Who would you have named the winner of this round?