I apologize for completely skipping the month of August. And since I received both my Glam Bag and Birchbox really late this month, in order to make sure this post goes live in September, I’m going to skip on writing down the sizes as I usually do. But I can finally say I have chosen a keeper between these two monthly subscriptions services and have officially unsubscribed from the loser. Not that is wasn’t any good, but since this is Life of a Recessionista, I try my best to save money and look for the best deal, therefore forcing myself to only choose one of them. They both cost $10 a month each, making it $240 a year on beauty product samples if I were to keep both subscriptions, and in my opinion, it’s a bit much.
September Glam Bag
The bags keep getting better and better. This sleek black bag with gold detail feels super high quality and can even double as a clutch. By the way, My Glam has changed its name to Ipsy. I have no idea why. It’s exactly the same thing just different name.
- London Soho Smudge Brush (Full Size / Retail Price $6.99) – A full size smudge brush? Hell Yeah! It’s really good quality, too. I absolutely love this.
- Jane Lip Gloss in the Color Sparkle Sparkle Pink (Full Size / Retail Price $9.99) – I’m not a big fan of glitter in my lip gloss but this glitter is subtle enough to make it wearable. And though the color seems very bright in the tube, it’s actually very light and gives a very romantic look.
- Circus by Andrea’s Choice Nail Polish in the Color Tightrope (Full Size / Retail Price N/A) – In all I’ve received three of the Nail Colors in the Circus line, the yellow (eww), the pink (amazing!), and in this bag I got the purple, which is more of a magenta, fuschia color than purple. I absolutely love it. I get so many compliments when I wear this color. It’s not as durable as I wished it was, even after applying a long lasting top coat, but the color is to die for. My absolute favorite nail color ever.
- Mirabella Eyeshadow in the Color Semiformal (Full Size / Retail Price $10.00) – It’s a light bronzey shimmery color that works perfect as a crease color for almost all skin tones. It does have a red undertone to it, so I have to be careful when applying it so that I don’t look sleepy or tired.
- Carol’s Daughter Split End Sealer (Trial Size / Retail Size sells for $25.00) – This stuff is amazing, it does a great job doing exactly what it promotes itself to do: seal split ends and makes them super soft. I hope I can make this sample last forever.
The box is always the same so no photo. I also didn’t notice that this month’s box came with a them either.
- Color Club Nail Polish in the Color Insta-this (Trial Size / Full Size sells for $8) – This is a matte cobalt blue nail polish. Personally not my favorite color in the world but it does look really good on. It also doesn’t last as long but it’s still a really good polish.
- Dr. Jart Beauty Balm (Trial Size / Full Size sells for $32) – I’m going to be fair and honest and admit that I haven’t had the chance to try this one out yet.
- Fekkai Technicolor Shampoo & Conditioner (Sample Size / Full Size sells for $25) – The only thing I really liked about this shampoo and conditioner is that it was surprisingly a pretty color baby pink and it got me distracted just by looking at it in the shower. It did make my hair super soft but other than that, nothing to write home about.
- Twistband Hair Tie (1 Qty / Set of 12 sells for $18) – I don’t understand this hair tie at all. It’s like taking a piece of elastic, tying a knot at the ends and then using it to tie up your hair. I could seriously do this myself and it would come out much cheaper than buying a set.
- Vasanti Brighten Up! Face Rejuvinator Wash (Trial Size / Full Size sells for $34) – This little scrub type face wash really does brighten up your face. I used it in the morning and my skin was glowing and looked very healthy.
- The Brush Guard (Full Size / Retail Price $5.50) – This is a very practical tool for traveling with makeup brushes. I’ll be traveling soon so I’m glad I got this.
And now to announce the winner! And the winner of Birchbox vs My Glam (aka Ipsy) is…. (drum roll please)… My Glam! It should come as no suprise reading this month’s reviews. The Glam Bag by far won over Birchbox. It has more full size products so you get more bang for your buck. It also sends more variety in my opinion. You also get a cosmetic bag each month. Even though it’s starting to annoy me how they are starting to pile up, but it’s nice to get something extra than just the beauty sample. I have officially unsubscribed from Birchbox and will continue my My Glam subscription until I’m either broke or they disappoint me and with they way they seem to be going, I don’t think they’ll disappoint me for a while.